Author Topic: 4-track recordings  (Read 3042 times)

JamesDoctor

• View Profile
Re: 4-track recordings
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2018, 02:08:56 AM »
I recorded seven different punk bands from my town for a cassette compilation I put out.
All recorded on a tascam 424. Recorded each band all at once, then some bouncing around to do the occasional second guitar or second vocal track.

https://earthgirltapes.bandcamp.com/releases

insanely good stuff with Judy and the Jerks and this comp.
I’m sure you’re involved with or know the members of Baghead, but god damn have to give them a shout out. Shoot me a PM if you all are ever lookin for a show in Memphis or North MS area!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 02:12:02 AM by JamesDoctor »

JamesDoctor

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2018, 02:15:09 AM »
Hi, hope everyone is well

Everything I’ve heard on this thread is rad, and I’ve listened to every link. Glad there is a place to talk with simarly minded producers and recording enthusiasts.
Here’s a link to a song I recorded today, recorded between a 424 and a Teac A3340s (tape delay provided by a Revox a77):
https://cherryvalley.bandcamp.com/track/dr-feelgood-bad

Pretty much everything else on that bandcamp was recorded the same way

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 02:16:43 AM by JamesDoctor »

exodus

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2018, 05:34:53 PM »
digging the sound of Dialup Ghost.  i'm hearing the group America in parts of it.  what did you guys (your friend now that i'm reading) use for mastering?

Great Shot Pilot

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2018, 11:50:56 PM »
Well, it’s 8 tracks on a Tascam 488, but here you go:

https://youtu.be/G0kolkV6jfI

Thanks to everyone here for the inspiration.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 11:43:53 PM by Great Shot Pilot »

exodus

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2018, 06:34:54 PM »
Sounds excellent.  How did u get your drum sounds?  Everything else? Intrigued.

Great Shot Pilot

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2018, 11:30:21 PM »
Sounds excellent.  How did u get your drum sounds?  Everything else? Intrigued.

Man, I can't tell you how much I appreciate this post - it totally made my weekend. That little recording was the first I've ever "released," in any sense of the word, and so having somebody say it isn't total trash is very encouraging. Thank you.

So, my setup is pretty straightforward, and mostly inexpensive, with one twist, as you'll see below.

The guitars are mic'd with a good old trusty SM57, through a M-Audio DMP-3 preamp, and hard-panned left and right. Guitar itself is a Martin 000-15m, which has probably become my favorite guitar that I've ever owned. The vocals went through a Samson C01 condenser, which sounds great to me for the $50 or so I paid new, and the DMP-3. I doubled them, and during mixing I added a little compression with a FMR Audio Really Nice Compressor and then a liberal dose of reverb through a TC Electronic M101 Multieffects box (which is a nice deal for $99). The bass is my trusty Hofner Ignition Violin Bass through a cheapo Behringer DI box that is a knockoff of one of the Tech 21 boxes, I believe.

Now for the twist, if you will - the drums are...EZDrummer 2. I sent them out of my Scarlett 2i2 interface through the headphone out onto track 1 of the 488, and that's about it, other than cranking the highs on the 488 during mixing so as to grab at least some of the high end/hi-hat/cymbals. Somehow, putting EZDrummer on tape (even narrow tape like a cassette) made it sit much better in the mix than in ANY of my digital recordings. I admit I may be imagining that, but I do believe it to be true.

My 488 was completely refurbished recently, and I used a nice NOS TDK SA-60 Type II, High Bias tape. I did all of the mixing on the 488, using the onboard EQ, as well as my compressor and reverb unit, and then bounced that mix back into my computer, where I used Ozone 7 Elements, a mastering VST, to add a little sparkle.

Well, there you have it. Let me know if you have any other questions!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 11:37:09 PM by Great Shot Pilot »

James

• View Profile
    • My band camp
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2018, 10:46:59 PM »
My name is james. I just finished my first 4 track recordings. It turned out to be a 7 song e.p. it was recorded on a tascam 424 mkiii. It took some adjusting, and a lot of reading.

www.beantrees.bandcamp.com/album/where-did-the-time-go

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2018, 09:26:14 PM »
Just joined the board to participate in the fall challenge. So many great tracks posted in this thread! Makes me want to go down to the basement and plug in right now.
Here's a track I recorded on a 414.
https://redred.bandcamp.com/track/silver-shadow

James

• View Profile
    • My band camp
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2018, 09:34:29 PM »
Sounds really good jason. Very nostalgic sounding. In the songwriting and recording. Got me inspired.

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2018, 06:58:00 AM »
Sounds really good jason. Very nostalgic sounding. In the songwriting and recording. Got me inspired.

Thanks a lot James. Your EP is fantastic. I think drug rug is my fave after my first go through. Great tunes!

Stefan Paul psychboy86

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2018, 08:42:45 AM »
Well here you go, my first release of recordings made partly or entirely on 4-track.

https://stefansplash.bandcamp.com/album/halleys-comet-86-never-sleep

"Halley's Comet '86" was mostly recorded in Garageband (I started working on this some before I found the 424 Recording Youtube channel) but I bounced the stereo mix of the backing track onto my recently acquired 424 mk3. I was going to add vocals on the 424, but then I found out Channel 4 doesn't record (it gets signal though). So I did a vocal on channel 3 of the 424, bounced the mix onto the stereo channels on my 414 mk2 and added two more vocals on channels 3 and 4 of the 414. To add reverb I used the effects loop of the 414 and recorded the mix onto the first two channels L-R of the 424 (I cut the highs with the mixer and boosted the lows and mids) and then bounced it into the computer.

"Never Sleep" was done entirely on the 414. When I bounced the drum machine, organ and piano onto one track it seems to have totally squashed out the drums throughout the song. Oh well, tape machines aren't perfect and I'm still new at this. I did a vocal on channel 3 and played the toy piano on channel 4 while also adding another double tracked vocal onto channel 4. I ran the tape into my Mackie 20 channel mixer using the graphic EQ (this mixer has a tape in/out) and into the computer. Effects loop and tape speed were put to use on this track!

They sound pretty close to how I'd want them to, although I don't know anything about mixing/mastering. I wish the drums machines were more prominent, but hey, lightning in a bottle right? I'm not going to spend another two months remixing and rerecording everything. I've re-started these songs so many times they almost drove me crazy. These are best enjoyed on headphones.

Thanks,
Stefan

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2018, 02:58:46 PM »
Well here you go, my first release of recordings made partly or entirely on 4-track.

https://stefansplash.bandcamp.com/album/halleys-comet-86-never-sleep

These are awesome! I love your voice. So cool.

mike

• Administrator
  • What up, TascFam?
    • View Profile
    • 424 Recording
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2018, 12:42:55 PM »
Yeah! Great stuff, Stefan!
Mike

Stefan Paul psychboy86

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2018, 11:58:20 AM »
Thanks for the kind remarks! I'm still working my way through all the postings on this thread. So far everything has been very cool!

I tweaked the EQ and mix a little bit more and they're also on Soundcloud and Youtube. I was out of town and off the grid for almost two weeks, so I'm ready to start recording again!

Aidan

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2018, 03:31:36 PM »
Here's a little recording I did for a comedy advice podcast I listen to called "If I Were You." Each episode the show uses a listener-submitted theme song. Mine's made it on the show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19hrrnAsWsk

(Not sure how to embed here.)