Author Topic: 424 Mk I power issue  (Read 35 times)

rarebirdsanctuary

• View Profile
424 Mk I power issue
« on: September 02, 2018, 02:17:51 AM »
Have been having fun doing a few small recordings with the first model 424 (the first non-Mk series, grey coloured)!

However, it's having a problem with powering up. Sometimes I'm able to get it to power on, by clicking the on/off button a few times. Often times though, no dice. Sometimes it will come to life, LEDs will light up, then die again straight away.

It's got the original power supply, which I've run continuity and leakage tests on and seems to be ok. Have given the power input a clean out as well, but still same problem.

Am yet to open it up, but would prefer to know what I'm looking for first. Anyone else have a similar problem and know of a fix?
I'm located in Melbourne, Australia so if there's any other aussies on here who might know of somewhere that might be able to have a look at it that'd be much appreciated  ;)

mike

• Administrator
  • What up, TascFam?
    • View Profile
    • 424 Recording
Re: 424 Mk I power issue
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 07:56:55 AM »
Welcome! I think you are the first Australian board member!

I would drop Jay a line at operationaudio@gmail.com

My guess is that it might be something to do with the power input jack; maybe it's come up off the board a little bit or the solder joint separated, giving a bad connection and an intermittent signal. But yeah, drop Jay a line. He's got the most experience troubleshooting stuff like this!

Cheers!
Mike

rarebirdsanctuary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 04:53:17 AM »
Thanks Mike. What an honour being the first Australian on the forum!

I'll definitely hit up Jay and see if he has any ideas and advice.

Cheers!

mike

• Administrator
  • What up, TascFam?
    • View Profile
    • 424 Recording
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 03:14:27 PM »
Awesome!

Yeah! Make sure you drop a location on the forum members world map if you haven't already!

Good luck! Sounds like it won't be tough to fix.  8)
Mike