Author Topic: The Drum Dilemma  (Read 419 times)

Stefan Paul psychboy86

• View Profile
Re: The Drum Dilemma
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 01:08:49 PM »
So it sounds like you just turn the preamp/trim on the Tascam all the way down? The 414 trim is a slider, kind of like a fader, rather than a knob, but I suppose the function is about the same. I'll give it a try. My only preamp is the Art Tube MP. I run just about everything through that before it goes into the 414. I've considered getting the Golden Age Pre-73 Jr., but it's a bit more pricey.

Correct - turn the 414 preamp down, and your external one way up, and see if that cleans up the sound any. It just depends on the nature of your external preamp; mine is extremely clean, so it results in a much less noisy sound.

Yeah, this sounds so incredibly clean! The distortion from the tape preamp can be cool, but if tracks are going to go through some form of bouncing, clean may be better. I really like how crisp and clean the tape sounds with the ARt Pro MP, it makes it sound way better than the DAW.

Great Shot Pilot

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 11:08:40 PM »
So it sounds like you just turn the preamp/trim on the Tascam all the way down? The 414 trim is a slider, kind of like a fader, rather than a knob, but I suppose the function is about the same. I'll give it a try. My only preamp is the Art Tube MP. I run just about everything through that before it goes into the 414. I've considered getting the Golden Age Pre-73 Jr., but it's a bit more pricey.

Correct - turn the 414 preamp down, and your external one way up, and see if that cleans up the sound any. It just depends on the nature of your external preamp; mine is extremely clean, so it results in a much less noisy sound.

Yeah, this sounds so incredibly clean! The distortion from the tape preamp can be cool, but if tracks are going to go through some form of bouncing, clean may be better. I really like how crisp and clean the tape sounds with the ARt Pro MP, it makes it sound way better than the DAW.

Awesome, glad it worked out for you!

mike

• Administrator
  • What up, TascFam?
    • View Profile
    • 424 Recording
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 09:45:29 AM »
My pleasure, psychboy86! I love talking drum stuff. Just keep messing with the sounds and trying different things; you'll find something that works.

In Garageband if you're using Drummer, there is a knob that says, "Fills". Turn it all the way down and it takes out all of the fills. Not sure if that's what you're using or not, though.

Jay is always down. He usually has his drums all set up and ready to go from whatever sessions he's working on that week and usually can turn around a rough mix pretty quickly. Def give it a shot. I like that idea of different drummers for each single: reminds me of Bowie and Eno recording drummers and mix and matching the performances to taste.

I like the rawness of those tracks as well. I was just talking to someone about the exact same thing.

Haha that's awesome and sounds like a healthy mentality to have. Good luck!
Mike