Author Topic: 2nd Annual Fall Song Challenge is here!  (Read 544 times)

butzjon

• View Profile
Re: 2nd Annual Fall Song Challenge is here!
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2018, 11:24:29 PM »
Entry number 2 for the fall song challenge! Wrote and recorded this in about 2 days

Used my Tascam Porta 02 and listened to a lot of rolling stones for a mastering reference.

Check it out!

https://soundcloud.com/enya_face/fart-huffer

Matt Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 02:52:45 PM »
I should have hired Anders. Ive never played drums and im attempting to midi my own... Yeah...

mike

• Administrator
  • What up, TascFam?
    • View Profile
    • 424 Recording
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 12:42:03 PM »
Damn, this is so awesome, seeing what everyone has been coming up with! Yo, I need to get to work haha. You guys are crushing it  8)

Matt Matt: Anders is available 24/7 haha

butzjon: re: acoustic boominess: try pointing the mic at the 12th fret. If micing at the soundhole, you'll get more bass and more boominess. Good luck!
Mike

Great Shot Pilot

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 08:15:01 PM »
Fall Challenge is done over here! I ended up doing 4 super short songs. They all started out on the 424 and then a few overdubs were done on a very old version of Logic Express circa 2009. I wrote them all on an old Silvetone that I found in a thrift store last month, but ended up going electric for a couple of the songs. Hope you enjoy, thanks Mike for the push!

Peace.

https://redred.bandcamp.com/album/fallen-hills

Very nice! Enjoyed these.

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2018, 05:23:06 PM »

exodus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2018, 09:22:10 PM »
butzjohn - i dig that track. the track definitely has a vibe although i can't put my finger on it 

jason - i really dig the work you are doing.  what are you using for getting the drum sound? are you using any bass guitar?  sounds great.  did you do a two track mix or did you send the tracks individually to the computer?  what did you use for mastering?

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2018, 07:19:14 AM »

jason - i really dig the work you are doing.  what are you using for getting the drum sound? are you using any bass guitar?  sounds great.  did you do a two track mix or did you send the tracks individually to the computer?  what did you use for mastering?

Hey, thanks a lot!
For the drums on most of the tracks I did two close mics into a mixer and then into the 424.
Yep I used a bass, a very old Squier Bass that I picked up for like 90 bucks 15 years ago, usually direct into the 424.
I was really wanting to send tracks individually, but had some technical difficulties. So each song was different. All of the vocals were done on the computer. Most tracks were mixed down to one track. On Hush, Until Autumn I ended up only using the drum and bass track and I was able to send those to the computer individually and then rerecorded my guitar (the take on the four track didn't sound that great).
For Mastering, I just mixed everything down then threw the tracks into a current version of garage band and EQ'd them a bit, put on a bit of compression and a limiter. Not a lot of thought went into it. That's about it, nothing too special.

ZenGuitar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2018, 02:24:09 PM »
Hey everyone!

My personal fall challenge was to finish the album I started recording this summer. It’s the first full collection of songs i’ve recorded with my 4 track.

https://soundcloud.com/jangarninskitapes/sets/jan-garninski-plays-the-shits-full-album

I've also recorded a psychedelic rock e.p this month so wanted to throw that up here as well. It's unmastered so there's a few volume issues but just wanted to get it out

https://soundcloud.com/jangarninskitapes/sets/jan-garninskis-space-makers

see what you think

Ian.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 03:34:50 PM by ZenGuitar »

North Anchor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 12:12:36 AM »
Hello 424 nerds, I know I'm late to the game but I finally finished my challenge.

Recorded on a Tascam 424 cassette recorder and mixed on Logic.
Gear used:
Hammond M3
Tama drum kit
Fender Squire bass
Crown Les Paul copy
Roland TR 707
Casio CZ 101

cheers
Thomas Marin
North Anchor

https://soundcloud.com/northanchorproductions/sets/witchs-soup-ep-by-eye-silver

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2018, 07:28:14 AM »
Hello 424 nerds, I know I'm late to the game but I finally finished my challenge.

Recorded on a Tascam 424 cassette recorder and mixed on Logic.
Gear used:
Hammond M3
Tama drum kit
Fender Squire bass
Crown Les Paul copy
Roland TR 707
Casio CZ 101

cheers
Thomas Marin
North Anchor

https://soundcloud.com/northanchorproductions/sets/witchs-soup-ep-by-eye-silver

This is really rad! It sounds so great. Favorite track is Lagoon Nebula, love the drums.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2018, 02:26:00 PM »
Hey all,

I have a late entry to the Fall Song Challenge.  My house is being renovated and my 424 is boxed up, so this was recorded on my computer.  I hope to do 4-track versions, but I didn't want to wait for that.

https://soundcloud.com/fileundercire/sets/fall-song-challenge-2018

This is the first thing I've recorded in many years, and I realized how rusty my performance is.  I had to rely heavily on punch ins, unfortunately.  Hope to improve this, and learn how to mix and master better once my gear is set up again.  Thanks to Mike and everyone else in the challenge for the inspiration to do this.  Good to hear all the completed songs.

1. Recording medium (I'll be doing digital demos and 4-track finals) -- recorded on my laptop
4. Genre -- I was going for a sound like late 80s alterative rock.  They are instrumental so I wanted a sound like a Smiths or Cure B-side.  I also wanted something that can be played by a 3 or 4 piece band live.
5. Mastering -- didn't spend too much time on this; could surely be improved
6. Don't buy anything new
Gear used:
Kiesel HH2 guitar through a Korg Pandora PX2
Dell laptop w/ Focusrite 2i2 and Ableton 10 (That Ableton Shit...)
"Session Dry" drums and "Electric Bass" programmed in Ableton