Author Topic: Tascam 488  (Read 1504 times)

charlie

• View Profile
Tascam 488
« on: September 20, 2017, 08:27:49 AM »
Hello World.

First of i would like to say i'm happy to have found this website regarding the cassette recording.
I recently picked up a tascam 488 and I am very thrilled about it. Going from a digital world to analogue I maybe have some stupid questions.

1. I bought the first "generation" of the 488 so I have no phantom power. So to be able to use condenser mics I need to buy an outboard preamp right? Or could I somehow connect my saffire pro interface to the portastudio to use the phantom power on that?

2. This maybe is a stupid question but I have no idea how to keep track when I record on this thing. There's no built in click track like there was on my old digital portastudio. So I guess I need to record it on one track and then dub over with whatever I would like to. The question is how do I record, lets say a click track from logic pro x on my computer to the portastudio?

Thanks for your time and answers and blessings from Sweden

- Charlie

mike

• Administrator
  • What up, TascFam?
    • View Profile
    • 424 Recording
Re: Tascam 488
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 09:52:52 PM »
Hey Charlie,

Welcome!

Yes, you will need an external preamp with phantom power or an interface you can run your signals thru to apply phantom power. I've made a video regarding phantom power on my channel: https://youtu.be/MmC0E8X9O78

You will also either need to record a click or listen to a click as you record your first track. You can do this by sending a direct out from Logic. Or, use a drum machine!

All our best from the States,
Mike
Mike

Julius2790

• View Profile
    • Brewbaccasaurus Rex
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 03:47:29 PM »
I've been looking long and hard at getting a 488 recently. I also saw this on Ebay...a mod that gives you 8 direct outs to go to a DAW or digital recorder. THAT is awesome and could be a game changer as you wouldn't need to time correct things to get them to a DAW for mixing!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Direct-Out-Mod-ONLY-For-Your-Tascam-488-MKI-or-MKII-Multitrack-Recorder-/122898962439?
John (Jeb) Pittman

-TascFam is the preferred nomenclature for a particular subset of imbibers who are nothing less than ravenous in their pursuit of recording excellence!!!

exodus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 10:55:35 PM »

exodus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 11:03:37 PM »
This may be more complicated than what you are asking but as far as click goes if you want to do midi sync you can do that.

http://homerecording.com/tas488review.html

https://8track.jdwilson.ca/img/488manual.pdf

It looks like on the 488 track 8 can be used for SMPTE

Julius2790

• View Profile
    • Brewbaccasaurus Rex
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 04:21:15 PM »
This may be more complicated than what you are asking but as far as click goes if you want to do midi sync you can do that.

http://homerecording.com/tas488review.html

https://8track.jdwilson.ca/img/488manual.pdf

It looks like on the 488 track 8 can be used for SMPTE

Ex I'm trying to read up on SMPTE. Does this mean you can create "timecode" and then link everything up to a click? Confusing.
John (Jeb) Pittman

-TascFam is the preferred nomenclature for a particular subset of imbibers who are nothing less than ravenous in their pursuit of recording excellence!!!

exodus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 11:01:43 AM »
Yeah there’s a midi sync track that goes on the tape

Julius2790

• View Profile
    • Brewbaccasaurus Rex
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 01:29:19 PM »
I'm taking my first stab at recording with the 488 today. I'm pretty sure you guys mentioned NOT to use the DBX when recording? It definitely seems to have more high end information with it off but obviously more tape hiss.
John (Jeb) Pittman

ThegreatFOUR88

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 06:54:16 PM »
I've been looking long and hard at getting a 488 recently. I also saw this on Ebay...a mod that gives you 8 direct outs to go to a DAW or digital recorder. THAT is awesome and could be a game changer as you wouldn't need to time correct things to get them to a DAW for mixing!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Direct-Out-Mod-ONLY-For-Your-Tascam-488-MKI-or-MKII-Multitrack-Recorder-/122898962439?

Pretty neat looking mod, each track gets a post-fader send to a lovely rca out.

Even without the mod though, I think you can still get those 8 tracks out to a daw! Just maybe not so versatile in terms of routing (some outputs will be post eq+post fader, some just post eq and at least 1 will be gain only)

First 4 outs come from the ‘group outs’ on the back (you just have to decide which 4 tracks, say 1-4 for example, assign them to the proper outs and pan each of them hard left or hard right according to which group out your sending each to) Using  the aux sends, you can send another 2 tracks out (control the output with the aux 1 and aux 2 send levels), then you can get a 7th track out by using the headphone out and sending that track thru the cue, with cue selected as the headphone source and all other groups switched off. To get the 8th track, you can hook up an rca cable to the ‘sync out’ jack on the back (with rca to 1/4” adaptor to go into tour interface/mixer)....for this to work  you have to have something recorded on track 8 though, it’ll only work for track 8 as thats the one used for midi sync.

Like I said, a few limitiations and a bit of dickin around to get there, but it can be done.

ThegreatFOUR88

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 07:07:42 PM »
Also, just wanted to add (and forgot to mention in my previous response).....congrats on picking up a 488!!!

Its an awesome machine, sound quality is pretty much on par with a 424, which is impeccable considering the tiny amount of bandwidth available for each track. When I was a youngen back in the early 90’s I thought 8 track portastudios were like unicorns or bigfoot. Imagine not having to bounce bass and drums down to 1 or 2 tracks!

Pretty neat how you get 2 aux sends, digital meters and stuff, 2 location points, and most importantly, 4 extra tracks! I enjoy the ability to mix down stereo drums to 2 tracks, big advantage for me. I find 8 tracks is a great number too, enough for nice layers of overdubbing!

Stefan Paul psychboy86

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 04:04:54 PM »
Can you record on all 8 tracks at once with the 488? I've occasionally looked into getting one, but I'm actually more interested in the Yamaha MT8X, which I've read allows you to record on all 8 tracks at once (which you'd need to record a live band) and it also has 8 individual RCA lines out. But they're about as rare as hen's teeth and somewhat pricey on eBay.