Author Topic: 4-track album spotlight  (Read 133 times)

Casio Cool

• View Profile
4-track album spotlight
« on: November 09, 2018, 01:20:07 PM »
How about a video series that is focused on albums recorded with cassette 4-track(reel-to-reel 4-track as well). For example: Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska, East River Pipe - The Gasoline Age, Ariel Pink - The Doldrums, Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand, Elliott Smith - Roman Candle, Beck - One foot in the grave, etc.

mike

• Administrator
  • What up, TascFam?
    • View Profile
    • 424 Recording
Re: 4-track album spotlight
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 10:42:58 AM »
That's a great idea. I actually started doing this with Roman Candle but for some reason abandoned the idea of doing more reviews.

I think it would be cool. Thanks for the list of awesome starter albums for the series!

https://youtu.be/ssboC9V-h-M - Roman Candle Review
Mike

Casio Cool

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 09:03:46 PM »
No problem.

In addition to that list, I think Tobacco makes all of his music on 4-track as well.

mike

• Administrator
  • What up, TascFam?
    • View Profile
    • 424 Recording
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 09:50:34 AM »
Dope! I'll check it out!
Mike

Stefan Paul psychboy86

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 11:35:52 AM »
That would be really cool! Maybe a series that focuses on how the four-track shaped the sound of each album...

I love the sound of The Clientele album "Suburban Light" which was done on a Portastudio -- and I think the limitations of the four track shaped the early sound of the band... although I read in an interview somewhere that they had it mastered at Abbey Road -- I'm sure they could make anything sound fantastic.

Merge has some info on the recording of this album here: https://www.mergerecords.com/suburban-light-reissue

And here is a review that I wrote about this a few years back that was published in a record store 'zine. I'd thought about reviewing albums on Youtube and maybe just reading aloud reviews like this -- but I realized Fantano does that and I don't think it's wise for me to be a music critic and an original artist... I'd piss off too many people!

In honor of Record Store Day 2013, the folks at Monster Music & Movies asked me to write about my favorite album for their zine. Thankfully in 2014 the folks at Merge Records reissued this gem on vinyl. Here's what I wrote:

Rain, fuzzy nighttime lights, the space between the country and city that turns into free association reminders of the magnificent beauty whose heart is worth stealing.
  This is Suburban Light.
  Lyrically, there's a cool, intelligent distance that turns around on a dime leading to heartfelt, sensitive emotions. There are walks through the dark October lanes that flood the depths of the heart as the hands of two people touch.
  The Clientele did not make sense until I entered a subconscious zone of half-awake, half-dreaming as I listened and drove on a rainy weekday night. It could be a scene in one of these songs . . . looking at mundane routines with a sharp eye, adding meaning to ephemeral activities, even if it's only existential ennui.
  The years worth of despondent longing that glimmer through each vocal inflection makes Suburban Light, to my ears, the finest hour of The Clientele -- and all of indie rock. I know exactly what is being felt just by the sound of this singular, evocative voice.
  Suburban Light was my introduction to this band that has many fine albums and EPs. The melodies have never escaped me since I've heard them.
  "I have never really been here if I am alive," Alasdair MacLean sings on "I Had to Say This" just before the drum pattern shifts the songs into another gear. I've always been amused by the nearly inaudible guitar intro that kicks off the album. By the time the volume is adjusted the entire band is in and I always want to start it over to hear those first shimmering notes.
The sparse drumming and melodic bass fits between intricate lead guitar that I may never figure out. As my musical ears grew up they did a double-take and asked: "What the hell is he playing here? This shit is brilliant!"
  At times Spanish style leads drift out of the 'verb-drenched, icy-electric tones that sneak into lovely backwards guitar on reversed tape.
  This could be from any era: a long-forgotten late-1960s group (as I initially thought), '80s indie rock or something released yesterday. It was in fact recorded on lo-fi tape machines in the late 1990s.
  This isn't an album in the proper sense...it's a collection of mostly 45s put together as The Clientele's first long player.
  "Rain" is genius. It has a 6/8 time signature. I've asked them to play it both times they've performed in Charleston. Much to my dismay, MacLean told me the song is too difficult to play live. But that dismay vanished the instant their set started. It vanishes each time I hear this record. The Record Store Day folks need to come to their senses and release this gem on vinyl.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 11:38:38 AM by Stefan Paul psychboy86 »

Casio Cool

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 04:43:55 PM »
Here is a podcast episode that covers Tobacco’s process on 4-track.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/song-exploder/id788236947?mt=2&i=1000374541556

mike

• Administrator
  • What up, TascFam?
    • View Profile
    • 424 Recording
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 12:51:24 PM »
Stefan: re: sick review. If ya wanted to try and shoot one, maybe I could put it up on the channel as like a "viewer's favorite 4-track album series". There's been a few people who reached out to me about starting a series where I review albums. Maybe it could be like a "mail in" show and the viewer's can send in their reviews of albums, to be highlighted in a monthly vid or something.

And here is a review that I wrote about this a few years back that was published in a record store 'zine. I'd thought about reviewing albums on Youtube and maybe just reading aloud reviews like this -- but I realized Fantano does that and I don't think it's wise for me to be a music critic and an original artist... I'd piss off too many people!

I never really thought about this angle, but I knew there was a reason I felt uncomfortable doing the same.

But, what I think could be done, is a review series of albums that you like or that influenced you. You could make a channel for your band and music and this could be a weekly or monthly video; explaining an album you enjoy and why you think it's influential to you. I think all bands should really be doing this on YouTube, releasing some kind of regular content for their viewers, either music, behind the scenes, process, etc. I really think YouTube is the best platform for creatives right now.

Anyway, what's funny is that I was toying with reviewing some albums and now I think this is the perfect solution to doing so. Thanks, Stefan!

P. S. Great review!

Casio Cool: I'll check this out!
Mike

Stefan Paul psychboy86

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 03:39:45 PM »
Mike, that's a great idea! Keep it positive! I may have to make myself do that tonight so that I'll start right away. I could easily gab on and on about my favorite albums and why I love them.

Stefan Paul psychboy86

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 09:25:02 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPkisolTI04

Well, I did it! Making a video has more challenges than I thought! Mostly, getting good audio and lighting. I recorded the audio into GarageBand and had to figure out how to find a free video editing program where I could line up the crappy audio from the camera with the good audio from the separate GarageBand track. I zoomed in on both wave forms of the audio, lined them up and muted the camera audio. Maybe I need to get one of those cheap camera mount mics. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E58AA0I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1_1_1?smid=AMIHU7JS0U6DA&psc=1)

I tried to run a dynamic mic into the camera, but it only recorded on the left channel and sounded like crap.

But it's definitely fun to just ramble about music.

Any recommendations on a decent video editing program? I'd like to do more videos, or a least make some videos for my songs that are more interesting than a still photo.