Author Topic: Lifestyle hack: Workplace Light  (Read 75 times)

dbo514

• From Mtl, Québec!
    • View Profile
Lifestyle hack: Workplace Light
« on: January 24, 2019, 05:20:01 PM »
Here is a useful tip for all you guys suffering a little from lack of light during the winter.
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2010/12/29/get-a-%E2%80%9Cchicken-light%E2%80%9D-and-amp-up-your-energy/

Basically just setup a 300W brooder lamp with a clamp so that lights shines around your workplace (where you make music, or general work at the computer)

You need this: https://www.amazon.com/Woods-0165-Brooder-Guard-Reflector/dp/B001BM5YZW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548368122&sr=8-3&keywords=clamp+lamp+250w

And a 250W heat lamp (incandescent light):

https://www.amazon.com/Phillips-416743-250-Watt-Clear-Flood/dp/B00OJ31X5U/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1548368215&sr=8-7&keywords=250w+heat+lamp

It really does make a huge difference for health, energy and mood. I've attached a few pictures of my own setup and the type of lamps I use.

Cheers and happy music making through the winter!

David

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 05:22:12 PM by dbo514 »
- David B. -

Main tape gear: Tascam 388 (Work in progress), Fostex A-2 (Stereo deck), Fostex x-28h (4-track cassette)

Stefan Paul psychboy86

• View Profile
Re: Lifestyle hack: Workplace Light
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 09:20:52 AM »
Good point! I have lamps in my music room, but I could definitely use some softer lamps, they're kind of harsh. It's a mix of being able to see where to plug in cables and also setting the right mood to work in and make it inviting and relaxing.

dbo514

• From Mtl, Québec!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 02:08:18 PM »
Yeah, good lighting is super important. It makes the room a lot more comfortable and is good for you!
- David B. -

Main tape gear: Tascam 388 (Work in progress), Fostex A-2 (Stereo deck), Fostex x-28h (4-track cassette)

Stefan Paul psychboy86

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 08:12:32 PM »
Definitely! Both my bands practice at different places, but they are both relaxing rooms with really great lighting. One is a storage shed that has a sound-proofed room and the other is a room filled with vintage furniture inside a local business owned by one of the band members. Both places are unbelievably cool. I like hanging out there as much as I like playing music there... I finally found some really good people to jam with.

I never really gave it much thought until your post, but the lamps really give each room a vibe that I love being in and makes me play better and more relaxed than when we practice in my living room or at someone's house. Guess I need to cozy up my living room -- but I'm terrible at interior decor! My bedroom with all my recording gear is just way too small to fit more than two people, but it's fine for when I'm working by myself or one other person.