Author Topic: Ambient tape loop  (Read 264 times)

Jason

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Ambient tape loop
« on: March 15, 2019, 10:48:01 AM »
Inspired by everyone talking about the Alessandro Cortini vid conversation during the live stream this week, I made a tape loop and did some messing about.
This vid is me playing around with it for about a minute or so straight into a DAW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33ml4UkiYDU

After that I ran from the 414 into a channel on the 424 and recorded for a few minutes and then that noise became the bed for a demo of a new song that I've been working on this week. I posted it to soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/redredpants/glue-demo

Hours of fun, thanks for the inspiration pals!

Wildfara

• View Profile
    • Bandcamp
Re: Ambient tape loop
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 06:35:01 PM »
Kinda reminds me of Tones On Tail...One of Daniel Ashes side projects from Bauhaus

Jason

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 08:18:35 AM »
Cool! I'll have to look into it. I remember Bauhaus, but never investigated them any further than hearing some random tracks.

mike

• Administrator
  • What up, TascFam?
    • View Profile
    • 424 Recording
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 04:30:04 PM »
So dope! Your song and experiment actually inspired me to make a vid and a tape loop song, too. Thanks, Jason!

Coming out this Friday on the channel  8)
Mike

Stefan Paul psychboy86

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 08:19:10 AM »
That's so cool! How in the world do you make a loop like that?

A bandmate played some Bauhaus for me a few weeks ago and their stuff is fascinating and super creative. "Bela Lugosi's Dead" is a simple song, kinda long, but complex in its use of delay and how some parts repeat and others change constantly.

Jason

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 03:15:03 PM »
Awesome Mike, I'm looking forward to seeing how the vid turns out. It's awesome that I inspired you to try it out!

Stefan, it's easier than you'd think. One trick is to find blank tapes that are put together with screws so that you'll be able to put them back together. It can be a total pain in the ass to tape the tape together though. I feel like I don't have that big of hands normally, but as soon as I start playing around with tiny pieces of tape I feel like a giant. But yeah, I bet Mike's video will help demystify the process a bit.

mike

• Administrator
  • What up, TascFam?
    • View Profile
    • 424 Recording
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 07:17:17 AM »
Yeah! Vid coming out Friday on the process, Stefan.

The taping together of the tape is the part that takes the longest for sure, Jason!
Mike