Author Topic: Broken level knob?  (Read 40 times)

Desert Buff

• View Profile
Broken level knob?
« on: November 20, 2017, 06:02:59 PM »
Wiz,

I have a Tascam MKIII 424.  Over time, the level know directly above the master fader has stopped working.  Now the only way to control the headphone volume is to adjust the track and/or master faders.  But sometimes I don't want to turn them down?

Do you think I could repair this thing? Know of any workarounds?  Thanks!

Operation Audio

• View Profile
Re: Broken level knob?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 07:45:43 PM »
Buff,

Sounds like a bit of a pickle..

The shortest answer is to replace the potentiometer in your deck. The pots are all plastic garbage, so I would try to find a good metal shafted pot as the replacement. Real estate can be a challenge when upgrading parts, so you'll need to get a sense of the available space as well as the dimensions of the replacement part.

Option 2 is to find an inexpensive headphone amplifier and drive it from the headphone output instead. Assuming that your phone's knob is running 1/2 way up or so, you'll have sufficient control of the level once it enter the headphone amp to either attenuate or boost it to your liking.

This of course adds a new piece of gear, but one that can be integrated into any sort of situation in the future. Headphone distro in a working environment is very important and absolutely critical when working with musicians and singers who demand their own mixes and level control there of.

Properly functioning gear is always better, but if you aren't able to fix it or there isn't an adequate technician near you, the headphone amp is a very worthwhile piece and an easy way around the main issue.

Jay